- Island schools resume classes today: Watch out for buses, walkers and bicyclists.
- Speaking of buses: 5 Mass. School Bus Laws You Might Not Know lists some important rules — and the penalties for breaking them.
- Thursday, the Martha's Vineyard Writers Retreat holds a reading at the Oak Bluffs Public Library. 6 p.m., free.
- The scenic spots of Edgartown will be bristling with easels this week: It's Plein Air Edgartown, an outdoor painting festival that concludes Saturday from 5 to 7 p.m. with concurrent receptions at Christina Gallery, North Water Gallery and PikNik.
- Gamblers can spend a day at one of New England's foremost casinos Friday: The Seastreak Foxwoods Excursion leaves Vineyard Haven at 8 a.m. for New Bedford, connecting with a bus to the Connecticut casino. The return trip leaves Foxwoods at 4:30 p.m., connects with the 6:30 p.m. Seastreak in New Bedford and gets riders back to Vineyard Haven at 7:30 p.m. $45 includes round trip ferry and bus, $15 gaming credit, and $10 food voucher. Call 1-800-BOATRIDE to reserve or buy tickets at the Seastreak counter inside the SSA.
Did we miss something happening this week on the Vineyard? Tell us in the comments.