The Oak Bluffs Public Library has a party with lanterns, refreshments and lights-out at 4 p.m. to watch the colors glow.
When the sun goes down, the magic begins! Head over to the Tabernacle in the Oak Bluffs Campground for the Grand Illumination starting at 8 p.m.
Parking for the event is available in the Sunset Park Lot, access from Greenleaf Avenue off Dukes County Avenue.
Oak Bluffs police advise there will be heightened security in the wake of April's Boston Marathon bombings. According to an announcement from Lieut. Timothy Williamson, "admittance to each of the events will be controlled by limiting access into the venues. There will be several access areas to each event that will be conveniently located.
"Spectators carrying backpacks, duffel bags, coolers, or other containers into the locations will be subjected to search. People not carrying these items will be ushered through uninhibited," Williamson posted on the police department's Facebook page.
About the Grand Illumination, from the Martha's Vineyard Camp Meeting Association:
- This event is usually held on the third Wednesday in August.
- The cottages are adorned with colorful Chinese and Japanese lanterns, and both a Community Sing and a band concert are held in the Tabernacle.
- Grand Illumination started in Oak Bluffs over a century ago and was initially intended as a way of marking the visit of the Governor of Massachusetts.
More events coming up on Martha's Vineyard this month:
- Martha's Vineyard Agricultural Fair: August 15–18
- Oak Bluffs Annual Fireworks: August 16
- On the Vine Music Festival, Oak Bluffs: August 22-25
- Martha's Vineyard International Film Festival: Sept. 5-8
- Martha's Vineyard Triathlon: Sept. 8
- First day of school: Sept. 9
- Oak Bluffs Tivoli Day Festival: Sept. 14
- Race for the Library, Vineyard Haven: Sept. 15
- Martha's Vineyard Fashion Week: Sept. 16-21
- Striped Bass and Bluefish Derby: Sept. 15-Oct. 19
- "A Race Against Time," The Gay Head 10K: Oct. 6
- Denim and Diamonds, West Tisbury, Oct. 12
- Wind Festival, Oak Bluffs: Oct. 12
- Columbus Day Road Race: Oct. 13
- Christmas in Edgartown Minnesingers Concerts: Dec. 13-14.
Is there something we missed or got wrong? Do you have an event to add? Leave a comment below, and make sure you've posted your event in our calendar for all to see. It's a free service and Facebook login is available.