It's the talk of the Island: Word that Disney/ABC has greenlighted a Martha's Vineyard reality TV show has spread quickly since ABC Family announced the program yesterday.
We were warned: Back in 2009, the MV Times ran an article about the proposed "docu-soap," which was casting for 19- to 28-year-olds.
Now that the program has been picked up by ABC Family, here's what readers said when we posted the news on Patch and on our Facebook page yesterday:
On Patch (see Reality TV Show "The Vineyard" Announced)
- "As long as the production doesn't impede traffic...and doesn't at all resemble Jersey Shore...I'm all for it! I'm sure most of the residents and visitors would tune in (whether they admitted it or not) and it could provide some jobs to say nothing of a likely boost to the island economy overall. Lord knows....the island is full of actors!"
- "The Vineyard is such a great place to chill... why bring the drama??? Ugh."
- "I will not watch it."
- "This is very sad news indeed..."
- "The CW already filmed a pilot reality Vineyard show a few years back that never took."
- "Yuck!!!! ABC will reap the low-ratings it deserves with this abomination."
- "This is the worst idea ever. I find the idea completely disrespectful, distasteful, and utterly appalling. The last thing our world needs is another unreal reality series. ABC should be ashamed. Let's try raising global consciousness, and make people aware of things that really matter. Good health, growth, pure and true happiness, these things do not exist in the drunken and slutty world these TV producers think is right for anyone, let alone our children to see. Come on people. Let's actually get real."
- "Gross. Go away."
- "Let's hope it doesn't do for the Vineyard what "Southie Rules" did for Southie."
- "How was this allowed to happen? Who was the knucklehead who gave this approval? Really!!"
- "Nothing like a 'reality' fantasy to give people more false ideas about the Vineyard! Sorry, but I hope this series is a flop."
- "I really hope this is a joke."
- "I REALLY hope this is a joke. A bad joke."
- "The dumbing down of America continues."
- "No! This a horrible idea! Stealing the magic of the Vineyard. Let the island remain a special and unique treasure without the stupidity of this reality show nonsense!"
According to TV By the Numbers, a press release from ABC Family reads:
“The Vineyard,” a dramatic coming-of-age docu-soap, follows a handful of 20-somethings in Martha’s Vineyard for the summer.
Tight quarters, new friends and new rivals, all living, working and playing together, make this picturesque playground ripe for mischief and romance.
The day, time, cast and location for the show were not specified in the press release.
What's your reaction to the news? Tell us in the comments.
You may also be interested in:
- Why Do You Love the Vineyard?
- Last-Minute Valentine Gifts on Martha’s Vineyard
- Lent Begins: Where's the Best Fish?
- Up-Island Businesses Hang On Through Winter
- Vineyard to Vineyard: Of All the Gin Joints ...
- Snow Transforms Island Landscapes
- Martha's Vineyard Pics & Clips
Stay Patched in! Follow Martha's Vineyard Patch on Twitter | Like Martha's Vineyard Patch on Facebook | Sign up for the daily email with links to the latest news | Got something to say? Start a blog and share your views.