The 21.6 percent increase, the newspapers report, is largely due to what could be called a perfect storm of demand on funds related to special education:
- Growing numbers of Island students are eligible for special education services;
- costs for these services are rising;
- federal funding for special education has been reduced.
- School superintendent presents $5.4 million draft budget (Martha's Vineyard Times)
- Record School Budget Increase Tied to Special Education Needs (Vineyard Gazette)