The April 15 deadline is upon us for a new Grammy award honoring music educators. The new award will be presented for the first time during next year's awards ceremony.
The Music Educator Award was created "to recognize music educators for their contributions to our musical landscape and their positive influence on their students' musical experiences," according to a press release from the Grammy Foundation, which continues:
- The award is open to current U.S. music teachers from kindergarten through college, in public and private schools.
- Anyone can nominate a teacher — students, parents, friends, colleagues, community members, school deans and administrators — and teachers are also able to nominate themselves.
- Nominated teachers will be notified and invited to fill out an application.
- One winner will be selected from 10 finalists each year to be recognized for their remarkable impact on their students' lives.
- The first award will be presented during Grammy Week 2014. The winner will be flown to Los Angeles to accept the award, attend the Grammy Awards, and receive a $10,000 honorarium.
- The nine finalists will receive a $1,000 honorarium.
- The nomination process is open now and the deadline for nominations is April 15, 2013.
- To view guidelines and/or to nominate your favorite music educator, visit www.grammymusicteacher.com.
What Martha's Vineyard music teachers deserve to be nominated for this award? We've had several recommendations on Facebook:
- "Brian Weiland ...undoubtedly, hands down!!!"
- "Nancy Jephcote as well, naturally. But must we really choose between two Flying Elbows?"
- "Brian Weiland!!! He clearly loves the children, Brian puts a smile on my face every time I see him with his students, and then there is the amazing talent show he puts on!"
- "I thought Brian right away when I heard!"
- "Michael Tinus"
- "Janice Whightman"
- "Dr. J (Alice Jenkins) has brought musical passion back to the music department at the West Tisbury School!"
- "Dr J at West Tiz school. She created the most amazing winter concert this year."
- "Dr. J at WT has been an awesome addition to the WT system and has brought the students to their feet in voice and theatrics!"
Who else should be nominated for the Music Educator Grammy? Tell us in the comments.
Martha's Vineyard Patch editor Louisa Hufstader was a Grammy voter in the 1990s and originally posted this article Feb. 18, 2013.
Stay Patched in! Follow Martha's Vineyard Patch on Twitter | Like Martha's Vineyard Patch on Facebook | Sign up for the daily email with links to the latest news | Got something to say? Start a blog and share your views.