Two days ago, William Waterway discovered what appears to be massive stone work that is part of or related to the 1844 foundation for the original 1799 octagonal wooden Gay Head Lighthouse. This massive 1844 subterranean stone structure was probably built as part of the foundation system to support the original 1799 wooden Gay Head Light when it was moved back 75 feet from the eroding cliff edge. With this discovery, scientists and researchers will now be able to more accurately calculate the rate of erosion from 1799 to the present time. William Waterway is writing a book about the Gay Head Light to be published by History Press in early summer 2014. Prior to this discovery, there was only written information mentioning the existence of the 1844 location of the relocated 1799 lighthouse. This discovery helps to bring additional emphasis to the effort to save today's brick lighthouse by "Save The Gay Head Lighthouse Committee," which has created an educational/news/donation website at: gayheadlight.org.