Five Things You Need to Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Today, town nurse Laura Murphy R.N. will at the . She will discuss what it is, who gets it, how to treat it and how to avoid it. Free. 4 pm.
2. The Island Housing Trust is holding an Open House this evening featuring four new green affordable town homes and their owners at Wentworth Way, 129 Lake Street in Vineyard Haven. 5 pm - 6:30 pm. For more information, call 508-693-1117.
3. Tonight the Martha's Vineyard Cancer Support Group is having an Evening Under the Stars fundraiser at in Edgartown. There will be music by Mike Benjamin as well as hors d'oeuvres, beverages, and desserts. $100 per person. 6 pm - 9 pm. For more information, call Jane Carroll at 508-696-9849 or AnneMarie Donahue at 508-627-7958.
4. This evening pediatric sleep coach Rebekah Thomson will present at the . Take a look at common sleep challenges for young children and practical advice on how to address them in a gentle, age appropriate way. We will discuss transitioning to a crib and bed, how much sleep children really need, night-weaning, naps, and more. Recommended for moms and dads of children ages 6mo to five years. Free. 7 pm. For more information or to preregister, call 508-693-7900 ext. 288.
5. Lily Morris is hosting a Sugar Blues Workshop tonight at in Vineyard Haven. She will discuss tips for stabilizing blood sugar and energy levels, and reducing sugar cravings. 7:15 pm - 8:30 pm Preregistration is required: call 508-562-1194 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.