Five Things You Need to Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Today is the first day of spring and if it’s anything like the last day of winter, it will be a beautiful day on Martha’s Vineyard. Forecast calls for sunny skies and highs in the lower 60s. Happy spring!
2. Today is also Daffodil Day. The American Cancer Society’s annual fundraiser is bringing over 10,000 daffodils to the Island today. The 10-flower bouquets are available today at the Edgartown and and tomorrow at Cronig’s Market in Vineyard Haven and the Martha’s Vineyard Hospital cafeteria. Donation is $10 per bunch.
3. This week our Readers’ Choice Poll is on Martha’s Vineyard. Make sure you get your vote and then go to your restaurant’s listing in Patch Places and give them a review.
4. The Martha’s Vineyard Law Enforcement Council will conduct a training exercise today on Anthier’s Lane, near in Oak Bluffs. The SWAT-style training is intended to prepare local law enforcement agencies for complicated, high-risk encounters. The training will utilize resources from the Barnstable County Sheriff’s Department, the Dukes County Sheriff’s Department, the Martha’s Vineyard Law Enforcement Council, Oak Bluffs EMS and Oak Bluffs Emergency Management. A seasonal resident whose home was slated for demolition donated the training site. SWAT vehicles may be visible in the area during the exercise that will run between 8:30 am and 3:30 pm.
5. is holding an Equinox Ceremony this evening at the Tipi in Aquinnah. 7 pm. For more information, call Saskia at 508-645- 2008.