Five Things You Need to Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. is hosting a event at both locations today. Sharky's will donate a percentage of food sales from both lunch and dinner for all VIP card transactions, dine-in or take-out. You must have a Sharky’s VIP card to participate. VIP cards are free and will be available at both locations. Come and support the only year round art center on Martha's Vineyard.
2. presents: . Born in Missouri at the end of the nineteenth century, Thomas Hart Benton became one of the most notorious painters America has ever seen while also . Benton’s murals were featured in galleries, statehouses, universities, and museums. Justin Wolff, Professor of Art History at the University of Maine, will explain how even as the nation learned his name, Benton was still scorned by critics and political commentators for being too nationalistic and his art too regressive. $8 for members. $12 for nonmembers. Books available for purchase and signing 5:30 pm - 7 pm. For details, visit mvmuseum.org.
3. Leslie Floyd and Jan Buhrman present a cooking class tonight at the . Come learn some tricks of the trade by two chefs who know how to serve large numbers of people and how to translate these skills to create meals for your family. We will walk you through some basic tips on how to: keep costs to a minimum, make quick family meals and make family meals taste delicious. You will learn about eating seasonally and why it is so important. We will read labels and take shortcuts. Leave full as they will be serving as they cook. Free. Preregistration is required. 6 pm – 9 pm Please send Name and Number of Participants to email@example.com
4. Occupy Martha’s Vineyard will hold a General Assembly at the in West Tisbury tonight. 7:30 pm - 8:45 p.m.
5. comes to the Vineyard on their 2012 album release tour playing groove/jazz at tonight. $10/Members $5. 8 pm–11:30 pm