Five Things You Need to Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. . This adventurous children’s book hero is turning twenty-five this year and to celebrate, the famous fellow in the striped shirt and black-rimmed specs will be visiting many local businesses in Vineyard Haven all through the month of July. Those who spot him can win prizes, including buttons, books, and more. For more information, visit in Vineyard Haven.
2. The takes place today at on Oak Bluffs. Open to boys and girls ages 10 to 18. All players will be rewarded for their efforts with a Vineyard Streetball Classic tee shirt, lunch and drinks. Players and volunteers may also win trophies by participating in the half-court and free throw competitions. Proceeds go to the Boys & Girls Club of Martha’s Vineyard. 10 am. Online registration and forms are available www.vineyardstreetballclassic.com
3. Singer/guitarist Jessica Carroll plays music for kids at the today. Kids of all ages can join as Jessica Carroll performs one hour of sing-a-long classics that celebrate a tradition of songs to know and love. Bring a shaker! Wear red, white and blue! 10:30 am.
4. This evening presents: . The three Island artists will discuss their personal experiences and working habits in their studios. 6 pm.
5. The used to be a regular thing on the docks by the Chappy Ferry in Edgartown. It has been quiet for years now, but this summer bring your family and your dancing shoes every Tuesday for an evening by the harbor with great blues and R&B. The music is free and food is nearby. 7:30 pm.