Five Things You Need to Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Owls are the subjects for today’s Nursery School Naturalists at . Ages three to five with caregiver. $6 per child for members, $9 per child for non-members. 10 am - 11 am. Drop ins welcome, preregistration preferred For information, call 508-627-4850.
2. The Nature Conservancy, Sheriff's Meadow Foundation, and Polly Hill Arboretum are teaming up in an effort to contain and reduce patches of Garlic Mustard on Martha's Vineyard with a today. Garlic Mustard, Alliaria petiolata, is a very invasive biennial plant that has just arrived on Martha's Vineyard in the past few years. Garlic Mustard produces chemicals that inhibit the growth of native plants and changes the soil biota. Meet at in West Tisbury, bring gardening gloves if you have them. 1 pm – 3:30 pm. For more information, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 508-693-6297 ext 15.
3. From the Peabody Award-Winning Documentary, Art in the Twenty-First Century, the , is pleased to offer an advanced screening of In this episode, artists play with historical events, explore and expose commonly held assumptions about historic 'truth,' and create narratives based on personal experiences. $8. 5:30 pm. This event is part of Art21 Access '12, a celebration of contemporary art and Art in the Twenty-First Century, Season Six, sponsored by Art21. Visit art21.org for more information.
4. Tonight, Felix Neck presents at the . Dr. Rob Thieler of US Geological Survey, Woods Hole, will introduce the fundamentals of climate change and sea level rise; describe what the future holds for both people and plovers in coastal zone; demonstrate how field data and models may be used to develop plover habitat conservation recommendations. Q&A follows. Free. 6:30 pm
5. , a fundraising event to support the Island Autism Group Inc., happens tonight at - just in time for Mother’s Day. The back room will be set up with 10 local vendors including Original Cyn Jewelry, Rebeccah J Leather, Holly Bellebuono of Vineyard Herbs, Soap and Skin care from Heather Thurber of Breezy Pines Farm and more. There will be a raffle, finger foods, a cash bar and music by Mike Benjamin. $5 advance, $8 at the door. 7:30pm