Has Valentine's Day 2013 taken you by surprise? Or have you been looking for just the right way to celebrate? Here are some last-minute suggestions from Island businesses on Facebook:
Gifts and cards
- Is your loved one into yoga, spirituality and natural living? Sanctuary at 42 Circuit Avenue, Oak Bluffs posts "Keep us in mind for gifts that warm the Heart- We are open for Valentine's Day- Wed. and Thurs. from 11am-5pm."
- You can buy Lisa Vanderhoop's humorous "Seadogs" Valentine cards at Chilmark's Sovereign Bank branch, she said in an email to Patch.
- Vineyard Vines has a free "Whalentine" card you can download and print yourself: Click here if your sweetie loves pink whales.
- "Did you know that if you buy any vase from Rainy Day you can receive a coupon for 10% off any flowers from Morrice Florist?" posts Rainy Day, 66 Main Street, Vineyard Haven.
- Stop & Shop has topped up on bins of flowers at both locations. Figure about $15 a bunch, plus tax.
- "We have some absolutely beautiful rose bouquets for your valentine. As you would expect, a great price at $24.99/Dozen. While they last!" posts Tisbury Farm Market & Vineyard Grocer.
- Chilmark Chocolates is open; you can also find sweet Valentine treats at Island spots including:
- Not Your Sugar Mama's, 79 Beach Road, VH
- The Scottish Bakehouse, 977 State Road, VH
- Vineyard Haven Public Library, which posts "The cupcakes are ready! The cupcakes are ready! 3:30 tomorrow...don't forget!"
Dinners and experiences
- Cafe Moxie, 48 Main Street, Vineyard Haven posts: "Valentines Day Dinner starts @ 5:30 p.m call for reservations 508-687-9140."
- Harbor View still has a few spots for its package: Book a prix-fixe dinner, $150 for two, at its Water Street restaurant and get a free room for the night in the famed hotel: www.harbor-view.com.
- Bite on the Go, 7 Circuit Ave., Oak Bluffs posts: "VALENTINE'S DAY is tomorrow already... Just few tickets available... Call 508-250-3233 (Valerio) SPECIAL DINNER WITH DJ MATEUS PLAYING ROMANTIC 'TIL LATE NIGHT!"
- Park Corner in OB wants us to know that "spots are filling up quickly" for its V-Day dinner.
- For more romantic dinner ideas, the Martha's Vineyard Times has a round-up of Valentine's Day dining here. You can even get a sitter for the kids at the MV Chowder Company in Oak Bluffs, writes the Times' Kaylea Moore.
- Edible Vineyard has a recipe for Pavlova, a crunchy meringue with whipped cream and fruit: "Light, fluffy, decadent, fun, delicious. Show your Valentines how much you adore them with a Pavlova!"
Do you have another last-minute Vineyard Valentine idea to suggest? Tell us in the comments.
You may also be interested in:
- Vineyard to Vineyard: Of All the Gin Joints ... (Louisa's personal Patch blog)
- Lent Begins: Where's the Best Fish? (Patch community)
- Up-Island Businesses Hang On Through Winter (Louisa)
- (Eileen M Lauinger photos)
- Snow Transforms Island Landscapes (Geraldine Moriarty photos)
- Martha's Vineyard Pics & Clips (Patch community photos)
- SHOW US: Blizzard Outside My Window (Patch community photos)
- Share Your Photos: How Much Snow Do You Have? (Patch community photos)
- Snow: A Sunday Afternoon Poem (Lee McCormack)
- Island Priest Backs Pope's Decision to Resign (Louisa)
Stay Patched in! Follow Martha's Vineyard Patch on Twitter | Like Martha's Vineyard Patch on Facebook | Sign up for the daily email with links to the latest news | Got something to say? Start a blog and share your views.