Here's a list of links to current webcams on the Vineyard. If you know of others, please tell us in the comments:
- Edgartown Harbor (Edgartown Marine)
- Chappy Ferry (Martha's Vineyard Times/Chappaquiddick Wireless Internet Service Provider)
- South Beach, Edgartown (Martha's Vineyard Times/Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution Martha's Vineyard Coastal Observatory)
- Oak Bluffs Harbor (Oak Bluffs Marina)
- Beach Road, Vineyard Haven (Martha's Vineyard Times)
- Vineyard Haven Harbor (Martha's Vineyard Times)
- Gay Head Lighthouse and Lobsterville Beach (Faith's Seafood Shack)
- Philbin Beach (Faith's Seafood Shack)
- Menemsha (Martha's Vineyard Times/Beach Plum Inn)
It's hard to pick just one, but when I was living in the northern California wine country, I bookmarked the Edgartown Marine webcam and viewed it obsessively. One time I even got my Mom and her boyfriend to walk down to the dock and wait till the image refreshed so I could see them in almost-real time. It was clunkier than Skype, but somehow a lot cooler.
Since those days I've discovered a whole range of other Vineyard webcams, including the rapidly-refreshing Aquinnah cams maintained by filmmaker-turned-restaurateur James Shephard of Faith's Seafood Shack. You can actually see the waves rolling in at Philbin Beach from Shephard's cam.
Webcams can also a be good way to check the weather at your destination if you're planning to drive from one end of the Island to another.
Where else can we go via webcam? Your suggestions are welcome in the comments section.