Looking for news about the Jan. 21, 2014 storm? Please see Martha's Vineyard Storm Center 2014: Jan. 21 Blizzard Predicted.
Updated Jan. 4, 5:15 a.m.
Before we suspend Storm Center operations until the next severe weather event, here's one last piece of advice Tweeted last night by mainland Patch editor Liz Taurasi (@Boston1Patch):
"Good advice RT@massgov Before starting your engine, bang on vehicle’s hood to scare off small animals that may have sought shelter in engine."
Updated Jan. 3, 2:30 p.m.
- The Chappy Ferry has returned to normal operation following Friday's high tide.
- The 2:45 p.m. freight boat from Vineyard Haven was cancelled.
- Alex's Place at the Y is closed and the monthly open stage is cancelled.
Updated Jan. 3, 12:15 p.m.
- Steamship Authority ferries are back on schedule this afternoon, operating on a trip-by-trip basis.
- The Chappy Ferry remains on emergency standby until at least 2 p.m.
- Main roads in much better condition, some flooding on Beach Rd., Tisbury, usual splash over issues on Seaview Ave., OB. Snow seems to have abated, still blowing and drifting.
- Temperature and Wind Chill effects are still a factor and may degrade further as the afternoon progresses
- Aquinnah Town Hall is closed
- Up-Island Council on Aging is closed
- Dukes County is shutting down at noon.
Updated Jan. 3, 10:45 a.m.
- Snowfall Totals for the Cape and Islands
- According to the Steamship Authority website, the noon boat from Woods Hole is running but the noon boat from Vineyard Haven is cancelled.
- The 1:15 p.m. and 2 p.m. sailings from both ports are scheduled to run on time, as was the 10:45 a.m. from Vineyard Haven.
Updated Jan. 3, 9:45 a.m.
- The Vineyard Haven Public Library is closed Friday.
- Video: Aboard the Ferry, Before the Blizzard
- More Island Cancellations Announced; Snow Could Reach 12"
Updated Jan. 3, 8:15 a.m. with updates from Chuck Cotnoir of Dukes County Emergency Management:
- All Dukes County offices are closed today
- Vineyard Health Care Access Closed
- Tisbury Parking Ban has been extended to 6pm today
- VTA is on suspended operation
- Chilmark Town Hall is closed
- West Tisbury Town Hall is closed
- SSA on suspended operation
- Edgartown and Oak Bluffs Town Halls Closed
- All Public Schools and Charter School closed
- Road conditions - snow covered
- Snow will continue heavy until later today and will diminish later this afternoon. Total Accumulation will be 6 - 12 inches.
- Temperatures will be in the 20 degree range and Wind Chill will be in the -5 degree F. range.
Updated Jan. 3, 7:20 a.m.
- Town offices in Edgartown, Oak Bluffs and West Tisbury are closed Friday.
- Chappy Ferry is running for emergencies only.
- Edgartown Council on Aging is closed Friday.
- Edgartown Library is closed Friday.
- Steamship Authority has suspended service until weather conditions improve.
- Peter Pan buses have many cancellations.
Updated Jan. 3, 5:55 a.m.
- The Steamship Authority has cancelled the 6 a.m. , 6:15 a.m. and 7 a.m. sailings from Woods Hole and Vineyard Haven and the 7:15 a.m. from Vineyard Haven.
Updated Jan. 3, 4:30 a.m.
- The winter storm warning is in effect until 10 a.m.
- The Vineyard Haven parking ban is in effect until 8 p.m. Friday.
- The Steamship Authority has not yet announced any morning cancellations.
- Do you receive the daily Martha's Vineyard Patch newsletter and breaking news alerts? If not, please sign up here. It's free and brings you all our latest posts so you can keep in touch with what's happening on the Vineyard 365 days a year.
Updated Jan. 2, 8 p.m.
- The 8:30 p.m. ferry from Woods Hole to Martha's Vineyard is canceled.
Updated Jan. 2, 6:45 p.m.
- Gov. Patrick has announced that state offices will be closed Friday and he is urging people to stay off the roads tonight and tomorrow, although he has not announced any highway closures.
- Island schools will remain closed through the rest of the week.
- Evening events are cancelled at Alex's Place at the Y.
Updated Jan. 2, 3:14 p.m.
- The state has closed all courthouses as of 3 p.m. Thursday, including the one in Edgartown.
Updated Jan. 2, 2:20 p.m.
- The Vineyard Haven Public Libary will close at 4 p.m. Thursday and, weather permitting, reopen at 1 p.m. Friday.
- West Tisbury town offices will be closed Friday.
- Governor: State Offices Close at 3 p.m., Highways Remain Open
- Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick has announced he is sending state workers home at 3 p.m. and he encourages private sector employers to release their workers early as well.
- Governor Patrick just made special mention on the Vineyard in a press conference about the storm. According to a Tweet from WHDH he said power outages are possible due to wind, especially on the Vineyard and Nantucket.
- Island schools will remain closed Friday.
- In Edgartown, Town Hall will close at noon today and remain closed Friday.
- Vineyard Haven will enforce a 12 hour parking ban beginning at 8 p.m. Thursday.
- Logan Airport is canceling all flights from 8 p.m. Thursday through noon Friday.
Updated Jan. 2, 6:30 a.m.
- Vineyard Schools Have Half-Day Due to Storm.
- The Martha's Vineyard Boys & Girls Club and the Golden Gate Child Development Center will also be suspending their programs this afternoon.
Updated Jan. 2, 4:15 a.m.
Updated Jan. 2, 3:45 a.m.
- Cape Cod school closings (Cape Cod Times)
- When is High Tide on Martha's Vineyard?
- 10 Tips for Driving in Winter Weather (Mass.gov)
- Massachusetts school closings (WBZ)
- Winter Storm Warning in Effect Beginning Thursday (Vineyard Gazette)
Updated Jan. 1, 4 p.m.
- Powerful snow storm, flooding forecast for Martha's Vineyard (Martha's Vineyard Times)
- National Weather Service alerts by county (NOAA)
- Winter Storm Watch: Island, Cape Could See 'Blizzard Conditions'
- New Year's Storm Coming: Shop Now, County Says
Bookmark this page and check back for updates on storm news, cancellations and closures on the Vineyard.
Do you receive the daily Martha's Vineyard Patch newsletter and breaking news alerts? If not, please sign up here. It's free and brings you all our latest posts so you can keep in touch with what's happening on the Vineyard 365 days a year.