Sure, you can do it here on freewheeling Martha's Vineyard. Just be prepared to have your vehicle photographed and posted on the "Bad Parking on MV" Facebook page, along with some tart comments from eyewitnesses and others who belong to the 543-member open group.
One example: A large black SUV, its license plate clearly legible, is shown — in the words of the person who posted it Dec. 17 — "In front of the courthouse. Not only in a no parking spot but also over a foot from the curb."
Responses to this post were 75 percent snarky:
- "must have been late for court, lol"
- "'but I'm only going to be a minute.' lol"
- "oh c'mon you guys. it was snowing."
- "If an emergency vehicle needed to make that turn for your family member it would not be ok."
Here's a sampling of other "Bad Parking on MV" posts, most of them accompanying photographs:
- "Really!!!!!! Had to park right there and all spaces to the left were open. wtf unbelievable!! Edgartown stop & shop" (Posted Dec. 31: Photo shows a massive SUV crowding the pickup truck to its right - Editor)
- "Thanks for blocking me in whoever you are. Been stuck for an hour. And I really dont want to dent the very nice Audi in front of me." (Photo posted Jan. 14)
- "Today, at the VH Post Office. I can only describe it as I was not quick enough with the camera. Some dude in an SUV is backing up in order to grab a space that was just opening up. Except he never bothered to look behind him first. The lady waiting behind him leans on her horn, with more than enough time to stop. But noooooooo, he continues on, smashing into her bumper quite loudly. He gets out, looking irritated at her for being there. Damage was minimal." (Posted Jan. 6)
- "This inconsiderate guy from jersey sat there with no handicap sticker, engine off. While his kids and wife were inside getting candy." (Posted Dec. 15: Photo shows minivan at a right angle across three parking stalls at Depot Corner; sample comment: "Smash that thing!!!!!)