Sleet Hits Island, Snow and Wind Predicted
Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket and the Cape could get hit with another wallop of wet snow and heavy winds overnight, according to the National Weather Service. The sleet began on the Vineyard in the noon hour.
More wet, snowy and windy weather is heading our way tonight: The National Weather Service in Taunton has issued a winter weather advisory effective from 7 p.m. until tomorrow at 1 p.m.
According to the NWS:
- There is the potential for heavy snow along with strong winds across the far southeast New England coast Saturday night into early Sunday afternoon.
- A mixture of light rain and snow will develop today. Little if any accumulation is expected through this afternoon.
- Any mixed precipitation should change over to snow this evening.
- The snow may fall heavily for a time tonight and Sunday morning.
- Untreated roads and walkways will become snow-covered.
- Strong winds will develop after midnight and continue through Sunday.
- This may result in poor visibilities and perhaps near-whiteout conditions for a time.
- The initially wet snow combined with the wind could result in some downed tree limbs and a few power outages.
- Winds: north 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 45 mph.
- Temperatures: around 30.
- Visibilities: less than one mile, occasionally near one-half mile.
- Any snow or ice would make driving and walking difficult but not impossible on untreated roadways and sidewalks.
- When temperatures are below freezing motorists need to be especially careful on bridges and overpasses where slippery spots can easily develop.
- A winter weather advisory is issued when snow and/or ice is forecast to develop in the affected areas, but accumulations are expected to be light.
Source: National Weather Service. You may also be interested in:
- Vineyard to Vineyard: Patch Editor Comes Home with the Storm
- Sun Follows Snow, Creating Brilliant Scenes
- Snow Transforms Island Landscapes
- Martha's Vineyard Pics & Clips
- Watch: Blizzard Hits Island, Ferries Canceled
- SHOW US: Blizzard Outside My Window
- Share Your Photos: How Much Snow Do You Have?
- Snow: A Sunday Afternoon Poem
Stay Patched in this winter! Follow Martha's Vineyard Patch on Twitter | Like Martha's Vineyard Patch on Facebook | Sign up for the daily email with links to the latest news | Got something to say? Start a blog and share your views.