Five Things You Need To Know Today: March 17
Happy St. Patrick's Day! We've got a round-up of Irish-themed events, Chappy ferry updates and a search for winter flounder.
1. Happy St. Patrick’s Day! The YMCA will host a dance party from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. for grades 7 and 8 and the Vineyard Haven Library will present an “Irish Tale” puppet show at 3:30 p.m. Want more great ways to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day? We’ll have a full list of Patch Picks later in the day!
2. Traffic will be disrupted at the Memorial Wharf Parking Lot during the next three weeks to accommodate renewed work on Chappaquiddick conduits. During this time, cars embarking and disembarking from the Chappy ferry will both use Daggett Street. A detail officer will direct traffic. Contact the Edgartown Police Department with any questions.
3. The Tisbury Business Association is hosting a St. Patrick’s Day breakfast at 8 a.m. at Waterside Market. The cost is $15. The breakfast is open to all Tisbury business owners and employees.
4. The Oak Bluffs Finance and Advisory Committee will host a public hearing on the 2012 Budget at 4 p.m. in the Oak Bluffs Library Conference Room. There will be a presentation and explanation of the budget, as well as time for public questions and input.
5. Where have all the flounder gone? According to the University of New Hampshire Coastal Marine Laboratory, the New England winter flounder population has declined 91 percent in the past 20 years. UNH aquaculture expert Dr. Elizabeth A. Fairchild will report on the Martha’s Vineyard winter flounder stock enhancement project at 5 p.m. at the Chilmark Public Library.