Five Great Local Gifts for Moms
Whether your mom is the kind who has everything, or loves anything, here are five ideas of what to get her without leaving the Island or opening your laptop.
She is either the easiest or the hardest person to buy for on your list. Some mothers have every possible thing they could need; others are so picky (yes, we said it) that it is impossible to find the right thing. Whatever the reason, mothers can be tough ladies to find presents for. Luckily, there are quite a lot of wonderful options right here on Island.
- Scott Mullin, manager of Midnight Farm in Vineyard Haven says they have plenty of nice gifts. “Definitely the Chan Lu wrap bracelets are a great gift,” said Mullin who also said they have a lot of really beautiful big cashmere and silk scarves. Another favorite gift idea is perfumes from Florence Italy. “They’re made in the Santa Maria Novella in Florence and they have a beautiful Tuscan and Mediterranean scents.”
- Susan Goldstein, owner of the Mansion House in Vineyard Haven recommends a gift certificate as a gift for mom because it is also a gift for you. The gift certificate can be used at the spa, the health club, the inn or Zephrus. And to the purchaser of the gift certificate goes a one-time pass to the health club. “That is a $15 value for you or you can give it as an additional stocking stuffer,” said Goldstein.
- Another gift idea from the Mansion House is to take advantage of their anniversary offer. “Since our 25th anniversary, every year you pay per person what anniversary it is, so this year, you pay $27 per person based on double occupancy,” said Goldstein. This offer is for January and for Islanders only, but you can reserve a room now. Includes free breakfast and complete use of the health club.
- An original piece of jewelry is always a good idea. You can find many beautiful pieces made by Vineyard Artists at the Holiday Gift Show at Featherstone that runs through Dec. 18 and the Artisans Fair this weekend Dec. 10.
- At the Laughing Bear in Oak Bluffs, "The whole store is filled with gifts for moms," said owner Annie Schwenk. However, if you're looking for gifts that are simple, Schwenk said they have a lot of beautiful shawls, scarves and silk dusters. "We have great crystal earrings and necklaces, and lovely camisoles – something every woman can use." She also recommends their fingerless gloves.